Lucky Pharmacy Opens Branch in Nimba

first_imgWith 17 years of active pharmaceutical business in Liberia, the Lucky Pharmacy on the 25th January opened its new branch in Ganta, Nimba County.The pharmacy is expected to be the biggest in Nimba County, and will be selling both retail and wholesale quality drugs/medicine to the public.The ceremony was attended by local officials of the government and health workers, including the head of Nimba County Health Team.Teeko Yorlay, Nimba County’s Development Superintendent, described Lucky Pharmacy’s branch opening as a great development for people of the county.“It will create employment opportunities for many youths while providing quality medicine for our people,” he said.He also urged the pharmacy not to sell any expired drugs/medicine.Dr. Boweh, Nimba’s Chief Health Officer expressed happiness for the arrival of Lucky Pharmacy to Ganta and urged the management to open branches in Sanniquellie and other parts of the county.“This pharmacy had been supplying our various hospitals in Nimba with medicine. That is why their opening a branch here is a great blessing for us,” he said.Nimba County has a population of approximately 463, 000 people comprised of 17 administrative districts made up of 193 towns, had been without any pharmacy since it gained its county status in 1964.The CEO of the Lucky Pharmacy in Liberia, Mr. Sam Jhamnani, pledged to sell quality drugs/medicines to the citizens and the public at large.“The same medicine I use to treat my children or my family is the same medicine I sell to the public to treat their children,” he concluded.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Banks DIH introduces “Wave” to market

first_imgGuyana’s beverage giant Banks DIH Ltd on Friday evening launched its newest product “Wave” Pale Ale at the Gravity Lounge, Regent and Camp Streets, Georgetown.The launching party was attended by special invitees and business associates who were all given samples of the new beverage.Speaking with Guyana Times, Sales and Marketing Executive of the beverage company, Carlton Joao highlighted that the new product signalled a new genre of beverages in Guyana.“Wave” is a pale ale brewed from special malt called pale malt, which guarantees white foam and a dark brown colour. Joao added that there would be a lot of sampling of the new product along the way since he was aware that Guyanese take a long time to adjust to new beverages.The pale ale is the first to be produced in Guyana by any beverage company. “Wave” pale ale will be available at all major supermarkets and retail centres at a cost of $5000 per case of 24 bottles.last_img read more

Opposition calls for ‘full debate’ Friday

first_imgBudget for constitutional agenciesThe parliamentary Opposition has noted with deep concern that Government has moved to reduce the $10.29 billion that has been requested by 16 constitutional agencies in their Budget 2018 proposals and has therefore demanded a full debate on the matter at the next sitting of Parliament on Friday.Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo has reminded that upon assuming office in 2015, the coalition Government had passed legislation to have the budgets of these constitutional agencies considered by the National Assembly separately,Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeofrom the annual national budget.In this regard, People’s Progressive Party (PPP) Members of Parliament (MPs) will be arguing for the constitutional agencies’ requests to be honoured. Jagdeo said previously, these agencies developed their budgets, it goes to the Finance Ministry and decisions are made based on what can be afforded.“I thought the whole purpose of the change (in legislation) was so that their (the agencies) budgets would be ring-fenced and the Minister of Finance cannot cut the budgets,” Jagdeo noted, while explaining that the Opposition will be requesting that the Minister give reasons for not approving the budgets.Constitutional agencies include the Auditor General’s Office, Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) as well as several Commissions – Public Procurement Commission, Teaching Service Commission, Public Service Commission, Ethnic Relations Commission, Judicial Service Commission, Human Rights Commission, among others.Referring to the schedule detailing the budget requests, the Opposition LeaderFinance Minister Winston Jordannoted that Minister Jordan justified the cuts by saying that the reduced allocation takes into account the economic outlook for 2018 for revenue, expenditure and growth in the economy, challenges in implementation encountered in 2017 and annualisation of salaries.However, the Opposition Leader told the media on Tuesday that the Minister will have to answer specific questions on what the economic outlook for revenue and expenditure is and what challenges were encountered in implementation in 2017, and what is the outlook for growth in the economy.Jagdeo said, “The country will recall that immediately after the coalition Government took office, it rushed through a law that will give ‘financial autonomy’ and suggested that the constitutional bodies were not treated with respect under the PPP Administration. Since then, we have been considering the budgets for the constitutional agencies separately from the core budget debate.”He continued, “…we have had some difficulty in the past two years, addressing this part of the debate. Somehow in the head of the Minister, he feels that this part of the Budget should not be debated fully… our members of Parliament are in no mood to go there and to be controlled in a narrow framework where the Government will once again hide behind parliamentary rules to avoid open debate on these issues.”Jagdeo said the PPP is of the firm belief that the $10 billion budgeted for the constitutional agencies should be a matter that will be subject to a full debate. “We support the view that if you give financial autonomy, then you must live with the consequences… we will be aggressively challenging the reasons he give for cutting the budgets of these agencies,” he added.Further, Jagdeo warned there will be “major expressions of disproval” if there is an attempt to truncate debates on this matter. “I hope they will not say we are vulgar again when we try to represent the people… if the Speaker and the Government try to truncate us raising these legitimate concerns of people across Guyana and try to shield the Minister from giving explanations for acting contrary to the legislation that they themselves passed, then you are going to see major expressions of disapproval from our side,” the Opposition Leader said.Asked specifically about the Budget 2018 request made by the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM), one of the 16 constitutional agencies, in light of the reports on procurement breaches at that agency, Jagdeo made it clear that procurement breaches at the Commission was not the justification cited by Jordan in cutting GECOM’s budget. “That was not his justification to cut the budget,” he asserted.Jagdeo also expressed the view that the requests made by the constitutional agencies can be met, if the wastefulness undertaken by the coalition Government is dealt with.last_img read more

Matadors have one more chance to dance

first_imgNevertheless, Northridge strongly believes it has a puncher’s chance to win the Big West tournament, which begins for the Matadors at 8:30 tonight against University of the Pacific (11-18) at Anaheim Convention Center. Perhaps it’s true, because the Matadors already have defeated top-seed Long Beach State during the regular season. “If we turn it on and everyone is clicking, we’re a very dangerous team,” Shewmake said. The winner earns an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament, something that hasn’t happened for the Matadors since 2000-01. gerry.gittelson@dailynews.com (661) 257-5218 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! If ever a team is happy to embrace new life, it’s Cal State Northridge. The talented but inconsistent Matadors (14-16) have seen more lows than highs during a men’s basketball season that hasn’t met expectations. center_img Four victories in four days? It won’t be easy but it certainly isn’t impossible. “We feel like we know what we’re capable of, and that’s why a lot of teams do fear us,” forward Jonathan Heard said. “In some ways, I think we have the upper hand in this tournament, because no one even expects us to get past the first round. You know what? We’re out to prove everyone wrong.” Now it’s just a matter of doing it – and that’s been the problem all season. Northridge’s athletic nucleus of Heard, forward Calvin Chitwood and 6-foot-10 center Thomas Shewmake can hang tough with anyone, but all three tend to disappear during inopportune times. The Matadors also still haven’t found the right backcourt combination between Jayme Miller, Rai Colston, Terrell Jones, Jason Hill, Tre Peters and Jordan Noblitt. last_img read more

Video: Man United boss Van Gaal maintains unbeaten start with penalty shootout victory over Inter Milan

first_imgLouis van Gaal maintained his unbeaten record as Manchester United boss with a penalty shootout win over Inter Milan in Washington DC.All five United penalty takers found the net in a 5-3 showdown that followed a 0-0 draw after 90 minutes.United only registered one shot on target in the first half, but they upped their game after the break.Substitute Wilfried Zaha, making his first appearance of the tour, was particularly impressive playing as a striker, as was Luke Shaw.Watch the highlights above and leave us your thoughts below…last_img read more

Heat breaks to be used at Cup of Nations

first_imgHumidity will also range from 40% to 60% resulting in a wet bulb globe temperature — which assesses the effects of heat, humidity, sunlight and wind — of above 32 degrees.“It is certain that most teams will be aware of this and will train accordingly,” CAF said in a statement.“At this level, FIFA recommends three-minute rest and refreshing breaks in the 30th and 75th minutes.”Coolers with crushed ice and drinks, as well as cold, wet towels will be provided for the players and officials.“It will also be necessary to prepare for any eventuality of emergencies. It will be important to be able to diagnose and treat heat-related illnesses, if they occur, on site,” CAF added.This will be the first 24-team Cup of Nations — up from 16 — and the timing has changed from January/February to June/July to avoid European club-versus-country clashes.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000The 2019 Cup of Nations is being held in June and July for the first time, with temperatures in host country Egypt expected to hover between 35 and 38 Celsius (95-100.4 Fahrenheight) © AFP/File / Mohamed el-ShahedCAIRO, Egypt, Jun 19 – Matches at this year’s Africa Cup of Nations will feature three-minute breaks in each half due to extreme heat, the competition’s medical committee announced.The continent’s flagship tournament is being held in June and July for the first time, with temperatures in host country Egypt expected to hover between 35 and 38 Celsius (95-100.4 Fahrenheit) over the next month.last_img read more

In book, Thomas calls Anita Hill `mediocre’

first_imgThomas says now that he was “one of the least likely candidates imaginable” for a charge of harassment, having made clear his desire to run an agency staffed mainly by minorities and women as professionally as any other. Thomas, 59, acknowledges that three other former EEOC employees backed Hill’s version of events, but he says they either had been fired or had left the agency on bad terms. Hill, a professor at Brandeis University, did not immediately return a call to her office for comment Friday evening. The 289-page book, for which Thomas has been paid more than $1 million by publisher HarperCollins, is an account of his up-from-poverty story from his first home in tiny Pinpoint, Ga., through his swearing-in as a justice at age 43. Thomas does not discuss his colleagues or his work on the court. He does, however, trace his rightward political shift from a protesting college student at Holy Cross and a George McGovern supporter in 1972 to an appointee of Presidents Reagan and George H.W. Bush. In the roughly one-third of the book spent recounting his nomination to the court, Thomas says his opponents were obsessed with the issue of abortion and determined to stop him because they believed he would oppose abortion rights. As a justice, Thomas has called for overturning the landmark Roe v. Wade decision, which would leave states free to deal with abortion as they wish.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Powerful interest groups were out to stop him at all costs and chose “the age-old blunt instrument of accusing a black man of sexual misconduct,” he writes. Hill, who is also black, had worked for Thomas at the Education Department and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. She first made her allegations after Thomas had been nominated to the high court, 10 years after she began working for him and only after she was contacted by congressional investigators. In the book, Thomas describes Hill as touchy and apt to overreact, not someone who would wait a decade to level a charge of harassment. She had complained to Thomas only about his refusal to promote her, the justice says. “Her work at EEOC had been mediocre,” he writes. In 1991, Thomas adamantly denied Hill’s accusations that he made inappropriate sexual remarks, including references to pornographic movies. Thomas says he did talk about X-rated movies while at Yale Law School, adding that so did many other young people in the 1970s. WASHINGTON – Breaking his 16-year public silence on his bitter confirmation hearings, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas says Anita Hill was a mediocre employee who was used by political opponents to make claims she had been sexually harassed. Thomas writes about Hill, his former employee in two government agencies, and the allegations that nearly derailed his nomination to the high court in 1991 in his autobiography, “My Grandfather’s Son.” A copy of the book, which goes on sale Monday, was obtained Friday by The Associated Press. He writes with indignation of the nationally televised hearings that he memorably called a “high-tech lynching.” A child of the segregated South, Thomas says he was being pursued “not by bigots in white robes but by left-wing zealots draped in flowing sanctimony.” last_img read more

CHRISTMAS BAN ON VISITORS TO LETTERKENNY HOSPITAL AS BUG SPREADS

first_imgLETTERKENNY General Hospital is to continue its ban on visitors as the winter vomiting bug continues to cause problemsA spokesman for the HSE said this evening: “Due to the presence of the Winter Vomiting Bug, no visitors will be allowed to visit the hospital at this time to help curtail the spread of infection.“There will be allowances made for the maternity department where fathers will be allowed to visit. “In cases where a patient is critically ill, a nominated next of kin should ring the ward in advance to make arrangements to visit.“All appropriate infection control measures are being taken to deal with the situation at the hospital at the moment and the ban on visiting will remain in place until the wards are free from the outbreak. We are appealing to the public to adhere strictly to the ban on visiting.“Letterkenny General Hospital wishes to thank patients and the public for their cooperation and apologise for any inconvenience caused.”  CHRISTMAS BAN ON VISITORS TO LETTERKENNY HOSPITAL AS BUG SPREADS was last modified: December 21st, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CHRISTMAS BAN ON VISITORS TO LETTERKENNY HOSPITAL AS BUG SPREADSlast_img read more

Betway set to host second Sports Leadership workshop

first_img Tags: Agaba AdellaBetWaySports Leadership Workshop KAMPALA – Sports betting giants Betway is set to host the second edition of the Sports Leadership workshop.The private seminar is intended at exploring the latest trends in international spot, job opportunities and commercial revenue.It is also intended to benefit sports stakeholders in the industry with development of Sports in Uganda at the top of the agenda.This comes at a relevant timewhen Uganda’s sports industry is highly recognized on the International scene and the local leagues are at peak performance with fans back in the stadia.The seminar is also timely, coming at a time when several corporate companies are taking keen interest in the sector.Ahead of the seminar, Betway Country Manager Adellah Agaba Nyaruhuma says it is a great opportunity for everyone involved in sports to learn and be able to pass on knowledge to others.“This is a great opportunity for sports stakeholders to learn, share experience as well as pass on the knowledge to other sports organisations, noted Agaba.“It is a sign that Betway is committed and serious about making a difference in local sport.“Betway also intends to achieve improved club management, positioning and eventualsports development all round for extraordinary results.“We aim to help in exploring Uganda’s ultimate sporting potential and seeks to use this seminar as a platform from which all stakeholders canlearn and share.This Seminar which runs from Tuesday, June 18th to Wednesday, June 19th, will bring together all sports disciplines and stakeholders (Basketball, Football, Rugby,Tennis, Futsal, Handball, Boxing, Pool, Media, Regulators, Government institutions, Marketing firms,etc.) to share experiences, network and learn from each other for the good of the game and the industryat large.The two day seminar programComments last_img read more

Latest on DeMarcus Cousins: All-Star participates in closed scrimmage

first_imgOAKLAND – Warriors center DeMarcus Cousins participated in a closed scrimmage Wednesday afternoon.Golden State head coach Steve Kerr said the scrimmage was used to “get to the point where he’s ready to go with his confidence and his conditioning.”Following practice, Warriors officials brought down a curtain during media availability to block onlookers from seeing the scrimmage.Cousins, who injured his Achilles in January, has been ramping up his workload in recently. In the last two weeks, …last_img read more