The trial of George Dover concluded at the High Court on Thursday when a 12-member jury panel acquitted him on two counts of attempted murder committed on fellow Eccles, East Bank Demerara (EBD) resident Kester Yamster on April 10, 2015 at Eccles.Dover had always maintained that he was innocent of the allegations, and the jury, by way of its decision which came after two-and-a-half hours of deliberations, concurred with the contention of the former accused.On first count of attempted murder, he was unanimously found not guilty but on the second count he was acquitted via a proportion of 10-2.After he was freed, Justice Navindra Singh, who had presided over the trial, encouraged Dover to make more informed decisions in life, considering he is still a young man.The State was represented by Abigail Gibbs, Tiffini Lyken and Shawnette Austin, and the defence team was led by attorney George Thomas, while Retired Rear Admiral Gary Best and Keisha Persaud had also appeared for the accused.Dover had, on Wednesday, given an unsworn statement to the jury, denying he was the aggressor in the incident, and saying it was in fact Yamster who had approached him. The virtual complainant Yamster was only 15 at the time of the stabbing.“He ask me what game you want play. He draw for something from he waist; he rush me and I hold onto he. We had a scuffle, he ease off of me and I run straight to Providence Police Station,” the former accused testified.However, on Tuesday, the virtual complainant, Kester Yamster, had positively identified the defendant as the one who stabbed him at a plantain chip stand at Eccles. His story was that he clearly saw Dover’s face for about 10 seconds before he left the area in a northerly direction.“I saw a shadow passing, and when I turned around to see who it was, I saw Mr. Dover; (he) came at me three times. He had a black handkerchief wrapped around his hand. He was coming to my chest; I feel a numbness in my chest,” Yamster told the court earlier this week.According to Yamster’s story, he placed his hand on his chest and noticed that he was bleeding. Yamster, who lives about one corner away from where the incident had happened, said that after Dover had run off, he also ran, but to his parapet, where he sat in the presence of relatives before he lost consciousness. The next thing he remembered was waking up in a wheelchair at the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC), where he was later treated for his injuries, and discharged a few days later.Questioned by the Prosecution, Yamster admitted he had run-ins in the lead up to the night in question. He said he had confronted Dover over rumours that Dover had kissed his aunt. When he first heard those rumours, Yamster said, he had run home crying.Further, he said he confronted Dover over money owed to him for a toque (headwear) that Dover got from him. Yamster said he told him it was used, and claimed that he opted to sell it because his father had said it made him look like a thief.
EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE — The development of a flying laser weapon to destroy ballistic missiles hit a major milestone when it showed it could detect and track a target. The Airborne Laser, a highly modified Boeing 747 based at Edwards Air Force Base, demonstrated it could find a flying target with a laser during two test missions in March. The tests were a major step toward proving a laser weapon can find and destroy ballistic missiles while they are still in the booster phase. “We have a crawl, walk, run approach to Airborne Laser,” said Col. John Daniels, the director of the airborne laser program. “Right now we’re between crawling and walking.” The Airborne Laser tested its battle management system and its tracking laser system against a simulated missile — a KC-135 dubbed “Big Crow” that was equipped with infrared heat lamps to simulate a missile plume. Several test firings were conducted during flights over the Pacific Ocean on March 15 and March 20. The system detected the plume and the aircraft’s nose turret turned toward the target and the tracking laser was fired. Daniels did not disclose the distance between the two aircraft during the testing, saying only that it was “a significant distance.” “The laser actually tracked and ranged an airborne target,” Daniels said. “This was a huge risk reduction for us.” The next major milestones ahead for the program will involve the firing of the tracking laser along with the firing of a surrogate weapon laser to simulate an actual missile shoot-down. Program officials envision future Airborne Laser aircraft patrolling in pairs at more than 40,000 feet and inside friendly territory, scanning the horizon for missiles. When a missile is detected, a set of lasers will track and illuminate it, and computers will measure the distance and calculate its course and direction. A second high-energy laser, fired through the nose turret mounted on the aircraft, will destroy the missile. The weapon laser is made up of six modules, each weighing 4,500 pounds and about the size of a sport utility vehicle turned on its end. The beam will heat an area about the diameter of a basketball on the missile’s relatively fragile fuel-tank casing. The laser will weaken metal already under high pressure from the ignited rocket fuel, causing the missile to explode. The weapon laser is being refurbished after being tested on the ground at Edwards. The plan now is to begin installing it on the aircraft this summer, with work likely to stretch into mid-2008. A test against an actual ballistic missile is scheduled for 2009. If that test is successful, there are plans to begin development of another airborne laser aircraft. Airborne Laser is one of the largest test programs at Edwards involving about 700 workers and three major contractors — Boeing, Northrop Grumman and Lockheed Martin. — Jim Skeen, (661) firstname.lastname@example.org 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
0Shares0000Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola (right) says Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool will drop points in the Premier League © AFP/File / Oli SCARFFMANCHESTER, United Kingdom, Jan 3 – Pep Guardiola is convinced Premier League leaders Liverpool will drop points between now and the end of the season as the Manchester City boss prepares for Thursday’s huge title clash with the Reds.Guardiola’s City side have been unable to keep pace with unbeaten Liverpool despite their own blistering start and sit in third place, seven points behind Jurgen Klopp’s outfit ahead of their crunch meeting at the Etihad Stadium. Liverpool have dropped just six points so far this season and come into the match on a nine-match winning streak in the league, but Guardiola is confident they will make mistakes amid a heavy domestic and European schedule.“We are there, still with a lot of games to go and I think everyone will lose points this season, even Liverpool, because there are a lot of competitions,” he told reporters on Wednesday.“They have been incredible … scoring four or five goals in every game. They are solid behind and in front.”Guardiola feels his own team deserve credit for amassing 47 points in 20 league matches and is certain they will get opportunities to apply pressure on Liverpool after Thursday’s match.“We have dropped off sometimes but that is normal. During the season, sometimes you forget what you have to do,” added Guardiola.“You have to remember those things, and come back, and we have done it exceptionally well.”– Liverpool motivation –Liverpool have not won the English league since 1990, two years before the creation of the Premier League, and Guardiola believes that will be significant motivation for Jurgen Klopp’s side, similar to what drove his own side to win last season’s title with a record 100 points.“My feeling is last season it was a little bit easier to maintain that hunger because 80 percent of the players had not won anything in their lives.“So I can feel what they feel, the Liverpool players. After 29 years not winning the title, to be there to win the Premier League, I understand it.”Guardiola also claimed that Liverpool’s illustrious history, which includes 18 English league titles and has seen them crowned champions of Europe five times, will push Klopp’s squad to match those achievements.“When I was a little boy, I looked at the Premier League from Catalonia, from outside, and it was always two or three teams, and Manchester City were not there,” he said.“In the past decade our club has been incredible. Every time here in the past six or seven years, we have qualified for the Champions League.“History is not 10 years, it’s much more, it’s longer, Anfield is Anfield, Old Trafford is Old Trafford, and the history is there and the Champions League titles are there. The players, when they put the shirt on, they know what they have to defend.“Maybe in the next decade, the players will feel it when they come here. Our target is there now. It’s to go higher and then higher than that — and that is what I want to maintain.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)