The members of an LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) community in Manado, North Sulawesi, have joined hands to raise funds and distribute relief aid to those affected by the local COVID-19 outbreak.”A friend told us about the condition of residents who had been hit hard by the epidemic. Some residents even asked us to buy some food for them,” LGBT activist Rajawali Coco told The Jakarta Post on Sunday in Manado.So the community decided to start a fund-raiser on Facebook to buy basic goods for distributing to people in need. The initiative has received positive responses, especially from friends, families and colleagues.Coco said that the community raised Rp 7 million (US$451) in cash transfers as soon as they started the fund-raiser.On the first day of distribution shortly after receiving the donated funds, it delivered 10 packages of staple foods containing rice, cooking oil, canned fish, instant noodles and fresh eggs to 10 affected families.”We are not [rich], in fact, we are also in need. However, we would like to share with those who have been affected by this difficult situation,” said Coco.He recalled how the story of an elderly woman who lived alone in a shack in Pineleng, Minahasa, went viral after members of the LGBT community visited to deliver some food to her. The viral post eventually caught the eye of the North Sulawesi Social Agency, which then visited the women to deliver aid.As the community continued to receive donations from people of all walks of life, they drew up a list of people in need, especially the elderly and people who had not received any aid, said Coco.”We have distributed the [donated funds] in the form of 50 packages of basic goods so far,” he said. “The last 58 packages will be distributed on April 25,” Coco said, adding that the fund-raiser was inclusive and nondiscriminatory, regardless of the donor’s social or economical background. (trn)Topics :
US President Donald Trump will sign an executive order on social media companies on Thursday, White House officials said after Trump threatened to shut down the platform he accused of stifling conservative voices.The officials, who spoke to reporters traveling with Trump to Washington from Florida aboard Air Force One on Wednesday, gave no further details.Before leaving for Florida earlier in the day to observe a space launch that was postponed because of bad weather, Trump again accused Twitter Inc and other social media of bias without offering evidence. It was unclear how Trump could follow through on the threat of shutting down social media companies.The American Civil Liberties Union said the First Amendment of the US Constitution limits any action Trump could take to regulate such platforms.Twitter declined comment on news of Trump’s plans. Facebook and Google did not immediately comment.Separately, a three-judge panel of the US Court of Appeals in Washington on Wednesday upheld the dismissal of a suit brought by a conservative group and right-wing YouTube personality against Google, Facebook, Twitter and Apple alleging they conspired to suppress conservative political views. Topics : Trump’s latest dispute with social media emerged after Twitter on Tuesday for the first time attached a warning to some of his tweets prompting readers to fact check the president’s claims.In the tweets tagged by Twitter, Trump made unsubstantiated claims about mail-in voting. Trump falsely claims that mail-in ballots lead to vote fraud and ineligible voters getting ballots.”Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices. We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen,” Trump said in a pair of additional posts on Twitter on Wednesday.The president, a heavy user of Twitter with more than 80 million followers, added: “Clean up your act, NOW!!!!”Strongest threat yetTrump’s threat to shut down platforms like Twitter and Facebook is his strongest yet within a broader conservative backlash against Big Tech. Shares of both companies fell on Wednesday.Last year the White House circulated drafts of a proposed executive order about anti-conservative bias which never gained traction.The Internet Association, which includes Twitter and Facebook among its members, said online platforms do not have a political bias and they offer “more people a chance to be heard than at any point in history.”Asked during Twitter’s annual meeting on Wednesday why the company decided to affix the label to Trump’s mail-in ballot tweets, General Counsel Sean Edgett said decisions about handling misinformation are made as a group.”We have a group and committee of folks who take a look at these things and make decisions on what’s getting a lot of visibility and traction…,” he said.In recent years Twitter has tightened its policies amid criticism that its hands-off approach allowed fake accounts and misinformation to thrive.Tech companies have been accused of anti-competitive practices and violating user privacy. Apple, Google, Facebook and Amazon face antitrust probes by federal and state authorities and a US congressional panel.Republican and Democratic lawmakers, along with the US Justice Department, have been considering changes to Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, a federal law largely exempting online platforms from legal liability for the material their users post. Such changes could expose tech companies to more lawsuits.Republican Senator Josh Hawley, a frequent critic of Big Tech companies, sent a letter to Twitter Chief Executive Jack Dorsey on Wednesday asking why the company should continue to receive legal immunity after “choosing to editorialize on President Trump’s tweets.”Twitter’s rival Facebook left Trump’s post on mail-in ballots on Tuesday untouched.
Mesut Ozil not included in Arsenal Europa League squad for Eintracht Frankfurt clash Comment Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterWednesday 18 Sep 2019 5:45 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link934Shares Mesut Ozil has been left out of Arsenal’s Europa League squad for the match against Eintracht Frankfurt (Picture: Getty)Mesut Ozil has been left out of Arsenal’s Europa League squad for Thursday’s match against Eintracht Frankfurt.The former Real Madrid playmaker has been used sparingly by Unai Emery so far this season with the former Germany international belatedly making his first appearance of the campaign against Watford on Sunday.Ozil trained with the rest of Arsenal’s first team squad on Wednesday but did not make the trip while Sokratis Papastathopoulos, whose comical error gifted Watford a route back into Sunday’s match, also didn’t travel. Both have been ‘rested’ according to Emery.Rob Holding, who has been out since November following a cruciate knee ligament injury, has been included and is primed to make his first team comeback, potentially alongside fellow Englishman Calum Chambers.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City Advertisement Mesut Ozil trained on Wednesday but was not included in Arsenal’s Europa League squad (Picture: Getty)Summer signing Kieran Tierney and Hector Bellerin are both back in first team training but are not yet ready for competitive action so Sead Kolasinac and Ainsley Maitland-Niles are likely to fill the full-back positions.Youngsters Reiss Nelson, Gabriel Martinelli, Emile Smith Rowe and Joe Willock are likely to feature, while Bukayo Saka, who made his Arsenal debut in this competition last season, has been included in the tarvelling party.Alexandre Lacazette’s injury, coupled with the decision to loan out Eddie Nketiah, means Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang could be pressed into action again, even ahead of Sunday’s Premier League match against Aston Villa.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal
In her 20 years’ working in the industry, Graham has also worked at UBS, SBC Warburg and Progressive Alternative Investments, before moving to BTPS.A statement said her role would see her “managing the interlined developments across investment requirements, operations and risk control”. Kathryn Graham, a 10-year veteran of BT Pension Scheme (BTPS), is to join the Universities Superannuation Scheme in the newly created role of head of strategy coordination.Roger Gray, the £40bn (€48bn) fund’s CIO and head of USS Investment Management, said Graham would be a welcome addition to the unique scheme.“Increasingly, we are taking a whole-scheme view to investment and risk management,” Gray said, “and, through the development of this role, we hope to achieve greater synergies amongst our various asset classes and managers to deliver the most effective investment strategy.” Graham, who most recently was head of special projects at BTPS, said the university fund’s “willingness to work between the traditional and alternative asset classes” made it one of the more interesting institutional investors.
President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has mandated her appointed officials starting with the Minister and their deputies at the Ministry of Education (MOE) to return to the classroom and teach the students for at least three months. This, according to the President, is to experience the ‘hardship and headache’ teachers across the country endure in the discharge of their duty. The expected exercise, according to the President, is for her appointees, particularly the ministers and their principal deputies at the MOE and educational areas to feel the adversity (hurt, stings) of teaching in the Liberian schools. The President’s pending mandates, an observer believes, is to inspire (move) her officials into action to defend the plights of teachers, who over the years have been protesting and or staging series of demonstrations for salaries and other benefits. At the same time, President Sirleaf has said, she would direct authorities of the University of Liberia to allow graduating seniors from the William V.S. Tubman Teachers’ College to go into the field and teach in the classrooms for at least a semester before they can be qualified for graduation. “If we can allow Peace Corps Volunteers and the ‘Volunteer Teachers’ from the West African State of Nigeria to be assigned in the rural areas, we too should send young graduating seniors to go with the foreign instructors into the classrooms before they are allowed to graduate.” President Sirleaf made the suggestion over the weekend when the Minister of Education, Etmonia David-Tarpeh presented the MOE’s (2014-2016) ‘Operational Plan.’ The ceremony was held at the Monrovia City Hall on Saturday, May 24, on the theme, “Quality Education for All: Redirecting Our Future.” The three-year ‘Operational Plan’ is being launched with the vision to ensure quality, relevant, accessible, and affordable education for all. The cost of implementation within the three-year period is US$180 million, while the cost for implementation for the first year (2014) is around US$59 million. Funding for the Plan is expected to come from the government and development partners, including the public-private partnership. The mission is to also ensure quality, relevant, accessible, and affordable education by establishing appropriate legal and regulatory framework through the development of education systems, policies guidelines, procedures and standards. To also promote, good governance practices among actors by coordinating all education programs and activities within the country’s borders; linking education programs to economic and development needs of the population; and promoting public-private partnerships within the sector. Before presenting the plan to President Sirleaf, Minister Tarpeh explained among other things that the 3-year ‘Operational Plan’ is based on several documents including the Education Reform Law of 2011, Education Sector Plan (2010-2020), Roadmap for System Transformation, National Agenda for Transformation, among others. She said the plan highlights priorities identified by education stakeholders at several consultative meetings including the National Education Roundtable Conference, 2013 and the Joint Education Sector Review taking account of clear messages that there is a need to reform the education sector and other emerging trends within the system. Additionally, it serves as a catalyst (means, channel) to accelerate the “Education for All Goals.”“It is underpinned by the principles of ownership and accountability that the Plan also proposes a range of strategies and activities for improving the quality of education services to ensure that young people within the country’s borders are fully prepared for a favorable livelihood in a changing regional and global environment.” This Plan covers areas such like the Early Childhood Development/Education, Basic and Secondary Education, Teacher Education, Student Personnel Services, Technical and Vocational Education Training (TVET), Education Governance and Management.Saturday’s launch brought together an array of government officials, legislators and members of the diplomatic community among them U.S. Ambassador to Liberia, Madam Deborah Malac. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
It looked for a long time like the third meeting between the Politicians and the Media might never have got off the ground at Leckview Park in Letterkenny last night.Afterall most football games tend to need a football – a commodity that was in short supply. Thankfully the members of Letterkenny Community Centre had more balls than most of us waiting at Leckview.And so, with former Finn Harps legend Con McLaughin in charge of the whistle, time was running out for us to embarrass eachother.Charlie McConalogue may be looking for broadband for Inishowen but it was the politicians who had their wires crossed in defence.The game was only couple of minute old when Stephen Maguire of this parish stole in beside Chris Ashmore the Letterkenny Post who was guesting for the politicians to grab the opener. The balding defence of Evan Logan and Robert Love politicians proved too aerodynamic for the fancy footwork of Cllr Frank McBrearty.Player/manager CJ McGinley gallantly put himself on the sideline for the first half but showed some fancy footwork and even grabbed himself the final goal.However it was former Finn Harps player Harry Walsh who spread the ball around the park and proved he still had the touch.Another former Harps man Kenny Harkin might be knocking on the door of 50 but he could still realistically expect a call from Feilx Healy any day now.Others who managed to get themselves on the scoresheet for the media was Sean Feeney and Frank Craig.The media eventually proved a little strong for the politicians but there was only one winner on the night. The idea of the gathering was to remember again the life and times of former Donegal News editor John McCrory.There’s no question that, fag on lip, John would have sat in the stand at Leckview Park and questioned our sanity.Cllr Ciaran Brogan, who recalled being a young man woking in Peader’s BarColumba Gill, editor of the Donegal News presented the cup to the media tea, and also paid tribute to Letterkenny Rovers. Cllr Liam Blaney mumbled something about someone ensuring that a true report of last night’s meeting was carried.Unfotunately nobody had a notebook or pen. So hard to get a reporter when you need one!EndsMEDIA AND POLITICIANS FIND THEIR BALLS AT LECKVIEW……EVENTUALLY! was last modified: October 15th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Leckview ParkMediapoliticians
Derrick Hall satisfied with D-backs’ buying and selling Chosen 47th overall out of TCU in 2010, Washington amassed 394 total tackles, 18 sacks, six interceptions, one forced fumble and two fumble recoveries in 59 games.And, at least one of Washington’s teammates is glad to see the suspension lifted. The 5: Takeaways from the Coyotes’ introduction of Alex Meruelo By now, you may have forgotten about Daryl Washington, the Cardinals linebacker who had become one of the best defensive players in the NFL before off-field issues, that included a domestic violence incident, derailed his career.But after missing the first four games of the 2013 season due to violating the league’s policy on substance abuse, he returned to play in 12 contests, recording three sacks and again looking like a key part of the team’s future. Very happy for Daryl Washington on his reinstatement today!! #AZCardinals— Larry Fitzgerald (@LarryFitzgerald) April 25, 2017 0 Comments Share Top Stories AP Photo Former Cardinals kicker Phil Dawson retires Then, in the offseason, it was learned he was suspended indefinitely due to another substance abuse violation.Since then, the team has barely talked about the linebacker, and by all accounts has moved on from the 2010 second-round pick who was a Pro Bowler in 2012.The NFL, apparently, may not be quite done with him. ESPN’s Adam Schefter first reported the NFL had “conditionally reinstated” the linebacker, adding Washington expects to play in 2017.Since then, the Cardinals have confirmed the news regarding his reinstatement in a pair of media releases.According to the Cardinals, Washington, who is 30 years old and still under contract, may now join the team at the training facility for meetings, conditioning work and similar activities.More from the release:Once arrangements have been confirmed regarding Washington’s clinical resources in Phoenix, he will be permitted to participate in all preseason activities, including practices and games.Prior to the start of the regular season, the NFL will review Washington’s progress. Based on his compliance and engagement with his program and resources, he will be permitted to participate in all regular season activities beginning in Week 1. He will be evaluated later in the season for full reinstatement.While this may seem like a path for Washington to rejoin the team, the Cardinals said they have been prohibited from contacting Washington over the last three years, and therefore it would be premature to discuss any potential return to the team for him. Grace expects Greinke trade to have emotional impact