Allegheny County Leaders Agree: Gov. Wolf’s Restore Pennsylvania Infrastructure Plan Will Help Region Thrive

first_img Government That Works,  Infrastructure,  Press Release,  Restore Pennsylvania Harrisburg, PA – Community leaders in Allegheny County say Governor Tom Wolf’s Restore Pennsylvania aggressive infrastructure investment plan will help the region thrive.“Restore Pennsylvania is consistent with what we are trying to accomplish in our communities. From disaster recovery, to stormwater and green infrastructure projects, and removal of blight and redevelopment of neighborhoods, we all struggle with the same challenges,” Bellevue Mayor Emily Marburger, Braddock Mayor Chardaé Jones, Sharpsburg Mayor Matthew V. Rudzki and Wilkinsburg Mayor Marita Garrett said jointly in a letter to the General Assembly from the Millennial Mayors of Allegheny County. “We can think of no other effort as bi-partisan as improving Main Street without raising taxes on citizens. On behalf of our communities, our generation, and all Pennsylvanians, we strongly encourage you to support Restore Pennsylvania.”Their support was echoed by the borough council of Castle Shannon and the city council of Pittsburgh, which each passed a resolution formally supporting Gov. Wolf’s Restore Pennsylvania initiative. Pittsburgh Mayor William Peduto submitted a letter to the Allegheny County Delegation and General Assembly asking them to “consider seriously how this proposal can help everyday Pennsylvanians.”“As a mayor, I understand that the challenges in front of public officials are as tough as they have ever been,” Peduto wrote. “Let’s build on our natural strengths, invest in our people, and Restore Pennsylvania, together.”In a letter to Allegheny County Delegation Members, County Executive Rich Fitzgerald made note of the economic turnaround of the region while calling for the responsible development of the natural gas industry.“As companies continue to extract natural resources from under our feet, it’s only appropriate that they also help us invest in our infrastructure,” he wrote. “I wholeheartedly support this proposal from Governor Wolf and encourage your support of the same.”Gov. Wolf visited several communities in Allegheny County that were devastated last year by flooding and mudslides including Bridgeville and Carnegie. He also visited Pitcairn to discuss blight remediation, broadband access expansion and green infrastructure creation. These issues will be addressed with Gov. Wolf’s Restore Pennsylvania plan.“It’s no secret that Pittsburgh and Allegheny County are in the midst of a renaissance,” said Gov. Wolf. “Through initiatives like high-speed internet access expansion and blight remediation, Restore Pennsylvania will build on the momentum of the region’s growing economy while extending that economic growth to communities that are still struggling.”Restore Pennsylvania is a statewide plan to aggressively address the commonwealth’s vital infrastructure needs. Funded through a commonsense severance tax that the Independent Fiscal Office has determined will be primarily paid for by out-of-state residents, Restore Pennsylvania is the only plan that will help make Pennsylvania a leader in the 21st century.View the full Restore Pennsylvania plan. May 07, 2019 SHARE Email Facebook Twittercenter_img Allegheny County Leaders Agree: Gov. Wolf’s Restore Pennsylvania Infrastructure Plan Will Help Region Thrivelast_img read more

Martinez unmoved over Baines

first_img With the England international likely to be sidelined by a broken toe well into next month, his Costa Rican deputy has made an instant impact in his two appearances. The 23-year-old last weekend marked only his second league start for the Toffees in 18 months with a goal in the 4-0 thrashing of Hull but then went one better in midweek with the strike which brought their first Premier League win at Old Trafford in 21 years. Press Association Speculation still persists that United manager David Moyes will return to his former club to sign Baines in January after a failed bid in the summer. And while Oviedo’s performances may have given Martinez confidence they can cope without Baines that does not mean he is willing to let his first-choice left-back leave. “Nothing changes. We are in the middle of the season, we have just gone 14 games and the only thing we are thinking about is finishing the season with the strongest squad possible,” said the Spaniard. “The last thing we want is to lose experienced players, players who mean a lot to Everton and who represent a lot in terms of what we want to achieve.” Nevertheless Oviedo is set for an extended run in the side and has found himself catapulted into the limelight. In scoring at Old Trafford, he not only became the club’s joint second-highest league scorer this season – alongside Baines, right-back Seamus Coleman and midfielder Ross Barkley – but won himself a new legion of fans. Martinez said the defender was gaining his reward for being patient and committed. “We had many phone calls from Costa Rica. The game was live there and his hero status has gone to a different level so it doesn’t surprise me how he is affecting people at the moment,” said the Toffees boss. “The assessment (of him) is exactly the same as I had in pre-season: I thought he came back ready for this campaign showing he was ready to cope with the physicality of the British league. “In pre-season he played in many games and showed he was ready but has had one of the toughest jobs you can have fighting for a position with someone like Leighton Baines, who is in the best moment of his career. “It has been probably frustrating for him at times but it is an incredible example of how you should behave as a footballer – just working hard, being ready and when you get the opportunity show you can help the team. “Everyone is delighted for Bryan because he is getting what he deserves, it is not an accident. “Now it is a great position for us to have such strong competitiveness for that position.” While the left-back area has been strengthened, Martinez is looking to strengthen other positions next month to cover long-term knee injuries to striker Arouna Kone and midfielder Darron Gibson. “We are going to use the window in January to try to help the team because we lost two players for the long term,” said the Spaniard. “Arouna and Darron are two very important players for us so we will try to see if we can identify one or two players that can help the group. “We have been working hard to identify who can help the group and that is what we are looking for in January.” Martinez admits his initial fears Kone would not recover from an operation to repair damaged cartilage in time to play a part in the remainder of the season have materialised. “Arouna started the first part of his recovery and it is going to be long-term, as expected,” he added. “I don’t think we are going to see Arouna this season. “If we can get him back for the final two months he will have done really well. “There was a big chunk of cartilage that had to be repaired in his knee. “We are very pleased in the way everything has been done but it will be difficult to see him this season. “In the same manner we are hoping we can see Darron Gibson before the season ends but clearly it is a long-term injury as well.” Manager Roberto Martinez is adamant new Everton hero Bryan Oviedo is competition and not a replacement for left-back Leighton Baines.last_img read more