Advertisement Edu has joined up with Unai Emery’s Arsenal first team squad on their pre-season tour of America (Picture: Getty)New Arsenal technical director Edu told the first team squad he intends to take a hands-on approach to his role.The 41-year-old, a former Arsenal midfielder and member of the club’s most recent Premier League title-winning squad, flew to America earlier this week after his period with the Brazil international team ended in this summer’s Copa America success on home soil.Edu will oversee many of the club’s long-term objectives but he insists he will remain intrinsically linked with the first team squad and told the players his door is always open when he met Unai Emery’s squad earlier this week.AdvertisementAdvertisementHe said: ‘There are a lot of things to do, but I will try to explain to you a little bit about almost everything.ADVERTISEMENTMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘People always say that the technical director has to look after and be involved in the process of signing players, selling players, keeping players, loaning players.‘That’s an important part of the job of course and I understand that. But for me there are more important things in front of that – we have to look after what we have today.‘We have to work hard today. We have to look after our squad today. The future is the future, and signing players means sometimes the future, and of course I have to be involved in that process, but I also have to take care of today.‘I explained to the players when I arrived that I’m not the guy who stays inside the office and waits for someone to knock on my door and send a message to me. Metro Sport ReporterSaturday 20 Jul 2019 4:58 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link2.4kShares What Edu told Arsenal squad in first meeting with players on US pre-season tour Edu was a member of Arsenal’s 2003/04 Premeir League title-winning side (Picture: Getty)‘I want to be involved in the process, I want to be on the inside, I want to be with them, I want to be with Unai, I want to be with the staff as well, to try and advise them if they need it, and give some advice for them.‘Being involved is important and that’s what I really believe from today.‘The link with the academy is very important because people always forget about it, because they talk about signing big names, but we have to take care of the academy as well. That’s one point I have to be linked with.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal Comment Advertisement
MANCHESTER City manager Pep Guardiola says his team deserve an apology after the club successfully overturned their ban from European club competitions.On Monday, the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) cleared City of committing “serious breaches” of Financial Fair Play regulations between 2012 and 2016.Yesterday Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho called it a “disgraceful decision”.“What we have done is right. Jose and all the managers should know that we were damaged,” said Guardiola.“We should be apologised (to).“(I’m) incredibly happy for the decision, which shows what all the people said about the club was not true and to defend on the pitch what we won on the pitch.“Like I said many times, if we did something wrong we would accept the decision of UEFA and CAS because we did something wrong. We can defend ourselves. We have the right to defend ourselves when we believe what we have done is correct.”UEFA had issued Man City with a two-year ban in February.But CAS cleared City of “disguising equity funds as sponsorship contributions” and cut the club’s fine from 30M euros (£26.9M) to 10M euros (£9M).In this year’s Champions League, City face Real Madrid in their last-16 second leg at Etihad Stadium on August 7. They lead 2-1 from the first leg and will face Juventus or Lyon if they progress.When asked about his future with last season’s Premier League champions, Guardiola said he was “happy” but added “now is not the time” to discuss a new contract. His current deal runs until the end of the 2020-21 season.“We have made a step forward in 10 years. We invested a lot of money, like a lot of clubs. We did it the right way. We have not been banned because we followed the FFP rules. If we hadn’t we would have been banned,” Guardiola added.“We showed it was not true. That’s why people have to be happy or should at least accept it.“I would love to say, ‘look in our eyes and say something face to face and go out onto the pitch and play as rivals and after if you beat us, we will shake hands and congratulate you’.”REACTION FROM AROUND THE PREMIER LEAGUEThe decision to allow City to play in Europe next season means it is normal service in terms of qualification for the Champions League and Europa League from the English top flight.The top four sides will qualify for the Champions League, while fifth and sixth place will progress into the Europa League.Had the ban remained in place, with City now guaranteed a top-four domestic finish, the team finishing fifth would have qualified for the Champions League and the seventh-place team would have got a Europa League spot.Here’s what some of the other Premier League managers had to say:Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp: “From a personal point of view, I’m happy Manchester City can play in next season’s Champions League, because if they have 12 games less, I don’t see any chance for any other teams in the Premier League.“I don’t wish anything bad on anyone but I don’t think it was a good day for football. Financial Fair Play (FFP) is a good idea and it is there to protect teams and the competition.”Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho: “If you’re not guilty you shouldn’t have a fine. I don’t know if Manchester City are guilty or not but either way it’s a disgraceful decision.”Arsenal boss, and former Man City assistant manager, Mikel Arteta: “There is no question about what happened. They completely deserve to be in (the) Champions League because what they’ve done on the pitch is unquestionable and the regulators have looked at it and have decided that they haven’t done anything wrong.“So you have the two aspects that are really clear and transparent; and they’re going to be in Champions League because they deserve (it) for what they do on the pitch.” (BBC Sport)
Black Stars captain Asamoah Gyan thinks he knows the formula for success in the English Premier League.For him, the Ghanaians in the Premiership must give their all and seek to impress their team fans if they want to be successful.The former Sunderland man who spent one season at the Stadium of Light proved to be an instant his with his goals and choreographed dances.Gyan is hoping for a similar fate for his national team mates. Christian Atsu is with Bournemouth) while Andre Ayew signed recently for Swansea. “All you have to do is to win the fans [over]. That is the main thing I learnt from the movie Gladiator. Everywhere you go the first thing you have to do is to win over the fans,” Gyan told reporters.“[The Ghanaian players In the EPL] are capable of doing that and they have got that fighting spirit. Andre has got that fighting spirit. The English like you to play with your heart.” “Even [when] things are not going well, let them see you have that eagerness to do something. That is all they want and I can see that in Andre so I just wish them luck.”The captain added that he is solidly behind the pair and will be delighted should they make a meaningful impact on the league.“We are all Ghanaians. We are all praying for them. The Premiership is the best league in the world so we will like to see them doing well and everybody will be happy.”Asamoah Gyan himself is on the verge of completing a mega deal to Chinese club Shanghai SIPG from Al-Ain.–
Mets’ Zack Wheeler addresses trade rumors: ‘It’s something that you don’t want to think about’ “Everything went great,” Mets manager Mickey Callaway said of Syndergaard’s start.The 26-year-old Syndergaard is 5-4 with a 4.55 ERA in 15 games this season. Related News Mets putting Amed Rosario in outfield? Mickey Callaway says it’s a possibility Mets fine, but do not suspend, Mickey Callaway, Jason Vargas after incident with reporter The Mets have had a tough week. On Sunday, Callaway and pitcher Jason Vargas had a confrontation in the clubhouse with a reporter, an incident that earned both men a fine. And a couple of news reports in recent days claim that the Mets’ front office is dictating “in-game” moves to Callaway, a claim he denies. The Mets haven’t had much good news this week, so this is a welcome report: Noah Syndergaard is expected to come off the injured list Sunday and start against the Braves, according to MLB.com.The right hander has been sidelined since June 15 with a hamstring strain. But he pitched five innings Tuesday in a rehab start for Single-A Brooklyn, allowing three earned runs and striking out nine.