What Edu told Arsenal squad in first meeting with players on US pre-season tour

first_imgAdvertisement Edu has joined up with Unai Emery’s Arsenal first team squad on their pre-season tour of America (Picture: Getty)New Arsenal technical director Edu told the first team squad he intends to take a hands-on approach to his role.The 41-year-old, a former Arsenal midfielder and member of the club’s most recent Premier League title-winning squad, flew to America earlier this week after his period with the Brazil international team ended in this summer’s Copa America success on home soil.Edu will oversee many of the club’s long-term objectives but he insists he will remain intrinsically linked with the first team squad and told the players his door is always open when he met Unai Emery’s squad earlier this week.AdvertisementAdvertisementHe said: ‘There are a lot of things to do, but I will try to explain to you a little bit about almost everything.ADVERTISEMENTMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘People always say that the technical director has to look after and be involved in the process of signing players, selling players, keeping players, loaning players.‘That’s an important part of the job of course and I understand that. But for me there are more important things in front of that – we have to look after what we have today.‘We have to work hard today. We have to look after our squad today. The future is the future, and signing players means sometimes the future, and of course I have to be involved in that process, but I also have to take care of today.‘I explained to the players when I arrived that I’m not the guy who stays inside the office and waits for someone to knock on my door and send a message to me. Metro Sport ReporterSaturday 20 Jul 2019 4:58 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link2.4kShares What Edu told Arsenal squad in first meeting with players on US pre-season tour Edu was a member of Arsenal’s 2003/04 Premeir League title-winning side (Picture: Getty)‘I want to be involved in the process, I want to be on the inside, I want to be with them, I want to be with Unai, I want to be with the staff as well, to try and advise them if they need it, and give some advice for them.‘Being involved is important and that’s what I really believe from today.‘The link with the academy is very important because people always forget about it, because they talk about signing big names, but we have to take care of the academy as well. That’s one point I have to be linked with.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal Comment Advertisementlast_img read more

Scottish bookies warn of job losses without government support

first_img Submit BGC calls for updates to ‘outdated’ payment regulations August 21, 2020 Share Share UK gambling adopts toughest online advertising code to protect underage audiences August 27, 2020 Related Articles Scottish bookmakers have warned First Minister Nicola Sturgeon that hundreds of jobs could be at risk if the government does not implement a business rates relief to help them cope with the cost of the Covid-19 pandemic.Unlike in England, Holyrood opted to exclude betting shops from its business relief scheme, which was designed to support businesses which had seen a drop in income during the pandemic.Despite objections, Scottish Ministers have refused to offer grant support to betting shops, which according to John Heaton, Chairman at Scotbet, hits businesses at a time when takings are already down.Reported on Politics Home, Heaton explained that the decision to not offer business rates relief will cost his business over £400,000. He said: “We feel very frustrated that we haven’t had the financial support independent bookmakers in England and others in the betting and gaming sector here in Scotland have received.“The sums involved are not material to the large bookmakers but, for us, it is about survival. The likely impact is that the independent sector will die and the big bookmakers carry on regardless, grateful that their independent competitors have been removed for them.”The Government’s retail, hospitality and leisure support grant had been offered to a number of betting and gaming industry establishments including amusements, bingo halls, entertainment centres and racetracks, but not betting shops.After reopening on 29 June, Scottish betting shops had also previously been told that they could not have chairs, gaming machines or show live racing to stop crowds congregating indoors. These restrictions, which were only applicable in Scotland, are expected to be lifted from 22 July following intervention from the Betting and Gaming Council (BGC).BGC chief executive Michael Dugher said: “We were delighted when the Scottish Government listened to us lifting the restrictions, which had led to a fall in turnover of up to 95 per cent compared to pre-lockdown in some shops.“We are now calling on them to apply the business rates relief and grant support that others in our industry have received to betting shops.“These businesses employ thousands of men and women across Scotland, and they deserve their government’s full support now that they are back at work. If they don’t get it, many will sadly lose their jobs as their shops are forced to close.“The Scottish Government needs to pull out all the stops to prevent that from happening and ensure betting shops can play their part in getting the economy back on its feet.” StumbleUpon BGC lauds success of whistle to whistle ban August 21, 2020last_img read more

Pele back in Brazil after hospital stay in France

first_img0Shares0000Pele arrived back in Brazil after a six-day hospital stay in Paris © AFP / NELSON ALMEIDASao Paulo, Brazil, Apr 9 – Football great Pele arrived back in Brazil Tuesday after having surgery for a “severe urinary infection” during a six-day hospital stay in France.The three-time World Cup winner was discharged late Monday from the private American hospital in the Paris suburbs where he had been taken after falling ill following an appearance at a promotional event with France striker Kylian Mbappe. After arriving at the Sao Paulo-Guarulhos airport in Brazil, the 78-year-old was taken through the terminal in a wheelchair and was driven away in a van.“Once again, thank God, everything went well. I’m alive. Long live Brazil,” said Pele, a gold cross hanging around his neck, after he arrived in Brazil’s biggest city.“I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the Brazilians and all those who called the hospital, who called me, for my operation, to wish me a rapid recovery,” he added.In a statement on Monday on the Globoesporte.com site, Pele said he had required “medical assistance and surgery” for a “severe urinary infection.”Before he was discharged, current Brazil star Neymar, who plays alongside Mbappe for Paris Saint-Germain, paid him a visit at the hospital.Neymar posted a photo on his Instagram account Monday of himself next to a smiling Pele in his hospital bed with the two holding hands.Brazil’s G1 reported that Pele had intended to come out of hospital on Saturday to return to his home country, but had been delayed by further tests.The infection was not serious and was under control, members of Pele’s entourage had said.Pele has had several health scares in recent years.A similar infection put him in intensive care in November 2014.Pele fell ill after attending this promotional event in Paris © AFP/File / FRANCK FIFEIn 2016, Pele, who played 1,363 professional matches, scoring 1,281 goals, was unable to light the flame at the Rio Olympics because of severe pain in the hip.In January 2018, he cancelled a trip to London fearing a “stressful” and “tiring” journey.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more