Govt signs off on more State Boards

first_img…nearly 2 months after no-confidence resolution’s passageWith the countdown to constitutionally due elections approaching, the coalition Government is giving the go-ahead for several more State Boards to function. However, the legality of such moves could be the subject of much contention since acting Chief Justice Roxane George, SC, has declared that the Cabinet was effectively resigned with the passage of the no-confidence resolution on December 21, 2018.According to Saturday’s Official Gazette, dated February 16, 2019, State Minister Joseph Harmon signed off on the approvals for five Boards on February 7, 2019. These approvals have come after Justice George’s ruling as opposed to previous approvals which were signed off days before the court’s determination.However, in this regard, the Government notice observed that it was not Cabinet that considered the nominees but the ‘Ministerial Plenary’, – a body which is meeting and has the powers of Cabinet would but is not actually Cabinet as Minister Harmon claimed late last week. Among the constitutional Bodies that recently garnered approval was the Guyana Prison Service Training Board which came into operation from February 1, 2019, for one year and it is meant to be chaired by Murray Greenidge. The Guyana Prison Service Recruitment Board was also given one-year life and will include Chairman Trevor Williams and acting Prisons Director Gladwin Samuels as one of its members.Another Body approved was the Guyana Fire Service Recruitment and Training Board to be chaired by Richard Maughn and includes members such as Randolph Alfred and Deborah Thomas. The 10-member Guyana Prison Service Agriculture Development Board was also given life while Firearms Licensing Board was similarly approved with Bert Sukhai as Chairman, Senior Government Psychiatrist, Dr Bhiro Harry and Attorney Kim Kyte-John included as members.These Board approvals come against Government’s business as usual stance premised on the argument that the status quo should be preserved as the no-confidence resolution matters are before the court. It was earlier this month that this newspaper reported on several other Boards that were similarly given life post-December 21, 2018. When the January 31, 2019, court ruling was made, People’s Progressive Party (PPP) Executive and former Attorney General under its tenure, Anil Nandlall, had told members of the media that the Party is likely to address the measures implemented by Cabinet after December 21, 2018, to see if those actions are illegal.“There is no Cabinet in force in Guyana currently and that is very important…if they are illegal, those are issues we will have to take into account and address,” Nandlall had declared.The previous State Boards that Government sought to give official approval in late January included the 15-member National Standards Council (January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2019); the Guyana Tourism Authority (GTA) to be headed by Donald Sinclair (effective February 1, 2019 to January 31, 2020); the VAT Appeal Tribunal (June 1, 2017 to May 31, 2019) and the Competition and Consumer Affairs Commission (CACC) (February 1, 2019 to January 31, 2019).Cabinet had also approved Governor Gobind Ganga as Chairman and Leslie Glenn as Deputy Chairman of the Bank of Guyana’s Board.In January, Justice George declared that the 33-32 majority meant the motion was carried. She observed that the President and the Ministers cannot remain in Government after three months which expires in March. This, she said, is in keeping with Articles 106 (6) and 106 (7). Article 106 (6) of the Constitution states: “The Cabinet including the President shall resign if the Government is defeated by the vote of a majority of all the elected members of the National Assembly on a vote of confidence.”Meanwhile, 106 (7) goes on to state that, “Notwithstanding its defeat, the Government shall remain in office and shall hold an election within three months, or such longer period as the National Assembly shall by resolution supported by not less than two-thirds of the votes of all the elected members of the National Assembly determine, and shall resign after the President takes the oath of office following the election.” What this says is that Government will remain in office until the next President is swor“n in but not the Cabinet which advises the President.last_img read more

Mays makes pitch to fill the fifth spot

first_imgThus, five games in, the Dodgers are no closer to naming a fifth starter than they were when they arrived here almost three weeks ago. And manager Grady Little said they might not name one until the day they leave more than three weeks hence. “That decision could come right down to the end,” Little said. Mays, a pitcher who won 17 games for Minnesota in 2001, wasn’t believed to be even a serious candidate until Little identified him as one about a week ago. Mays missed all of 2004 after Tommy John surgery, then struggled with the Twins in 2005 before leaving as a free agent for Kansas City. When those struggles continued – he was 0-4 with a 10.27 ERA when the Royals released him last May – Mays briefly found himself unemployed until Cincinnati came calling three days later, albeit with a minor-league contract. That was when fate stepped in. Actually, it already had stepped in three months before. When the Reds were undergoing routine physicals at the start of spring training, pitching coach Vern Ruhle had been found to have multiple myeloma. The cancer put him out of commission for the season and, less than a year later, took his life. Ruhle’s unexpected absence created a domino effect in the organization in which bullpen coach Tom Hume became the pitching coach, Triple-A Louisville pitching coach Lee Tunnell became the big-league bullpen coach, and Single-A Sarasota pitching coach and former Dodgers pitcher Ted Power went to Triple-A. Upon signing with the Reds, Mays was immediately assigned to Louisville. It was there that he first met Power, whom he now credits with turning his career around. Furcal out Shortstop Rafael Furcal was out of action and will remain so for at least another couple of days because of discomfort in his right shoulder. “Anytime a player is in the training room, it’s a little bit of a worry,” Little said. “But he is getting better and better each day. It’s probably a two- or three-day process.” Saito throws Closer Takashi Saito, who has been on a regular throwing program all spring but has been limited in running because of a strained right calf, threw a brief simulated game on Sunday and will make his Grapefruit League debut on Wednesday. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! He wound up with two shutout innings in which he faced the minimum, gave up one hit, started a double play with a nice defensive grab and struck out two batters. He finished with a flourish, freezing Ryan Langerhans for a called third strike. Meanwhile, in Viera, Brett Tomko also was staking a claim to the fifth spot with two shutout innings of his own in a 6-2 loss to Washington. center_img VERO BEACH, Fla. – It is a long way from the career bottoming-out Joe Mays went through less than a year ago to where he finds himself now, and it is even farther to where Mays hopes to find himself in a few weeks. But the veteran right-hander took an encouraging next step on Sunday in his Grapefruit League debut for the Dodgers. Mays, in camp on a minor-league contract and one of several candidates for the vacant fifth spot in the rotation, came on in relief of Derek Lowe to begin the third inning of what became a 4-1 loss to the Atlanta Braves. last_img read more