News June 2, 2021 Find out more to go further Organisation Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Belarus The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) on 28 April adopted a resolution urging the Belarus authorities to open an independent investigation into the disappearance of four opponents, including the journalist Dmitri Zavadski.It also called for the prosecutor-general Viktor Sheiman, accused of being behind the disappearances, to be dismissed.Resolution 1371 further calls for charges to be laid against Sheiman, head of the National Security Council at the time, Yuri Sivakov, then interior minister and Dmitri Pavlichenko, commander of a special police unit, so that their implication in the disappearances can be investigated.It also urges an investigation into the responsibility of several top officials in obstructing the course of justice to try to protect those really responsible for the crimes. PACE decided to break off all political contact with Belarus until the independent investigation was opened.______Reporters Without Borders and the Belarus Association of Journalists (BAJ) voiced shock today at the decision to close the investigation into the disappearance of journalist Dmitri Zavadski although the Council of Europe’s special rapporteur recently spoke of serious suspicions about official involvement in the disappearance and an attempt to cover this up.Zavadski’s wife, Svetlana Zavadskaya, was told of the decision in a letter at the beginning of April which said the investigation had been closed because “the disappeared individual has not been found.”Reporters Without Borders and the BAJ have asked prosecutor-general Viktor Sheyman to write to the Zavadski family giving the reason why the official in charge of the case, Ivan Branshel, decided it should be closed.The two organisations also asked the prosecutor’s office to detail not only what actions were taken to find Zavadski but also what initially-envisaged investigative measures were not carried out and why.Reporters Without Borders and the BAJ believe that the family has a right to information about two members of the interior ministry special services who were convicted of kidnapping Zavadski, in particular, whether they admitted their guilt and whether they provided information about Zavadski’s fate after he was abducted and where his body was buried.The family also does not know whether the accomplices to the kidnapping – mentioned in the trial – have been identified and whether they have provided information.Reporters Without Borders and the BAJ also deplore the KGB’s failure to respond to the request made by Svetlana Zavadskaya and the wives of three other disappeared persons – two government opponents and a businessman – for proceedings to be initiated against senior officials suspected of being linked to their disappearance. Zavadski disappeared on 7 July 2000 at Minsk airport. He was President Lukashenko’s personal cameraman until he resigned from the government-run TV station in 1996 went to work for the Russian TV channel ORT. He was imprisoned with an ORT colleague for two months in 1997 after reporting the existence of gaps in Belarus’ security along its border with Lithuania.On 16 July 2002, the Belarus supreme court upheld a life sentence on the former head of the interior ministry’s special units, Valery Ignatovich, and one of his subordinates, Maxim Malik, for the kidnapping of Zavadski and for the murder of five other people. According to the authorities, Ignatovich decided to kill Zavadski because he felt Zavadski was referring to him in an interview he gave in 2000 to the daily Belorusskaya Delovaya Gazeta in which he said he met Belarussian citizens in Chechnya fighting on the side of the Chechen separatists. The trial did not reveal the exact circumstances of Zavadski’s kidnapping or who was behind it.The office of the prosecutor-general had previously decided on 27 February 2003 to close the investigation in Zavadski’s disappearance. But then it reopened it on 10 December 2003 without any explanation other than “the need to pursue the enquiries.”Council of Europe special rapporteur Cristos Pourgourides referred in a preliminary report on 27 January 2004 to serious suspicions about the involvement of three officials in four disappearances, including Zavadski’s. The officials named in this report are Viktor Sheyman, the prosecutor-general since November 2000 and head of the national security council at the time of Zavadski’s disappearance; Yuri Sivakov, who was interior minister at the time; and Dmitri Pavlichenko, the commander of a police special unit. Pourgourides said: “steps were taken at the highest level of the state to actively cover up the truth about the circumstances of the disappearances.” The investigation into the disappearance of Dmitri Zavadski has been closed, yet the Council of Europe’s special rapporteur spoke of serious suspicions about official involvement in the disappearance and an attempt to cover this up. Reporters Without Borders and the Belarus Association of Journalists demand that Zavadski’s family be told about the most recent developments in the investigation and the reason for the decision to close it. May 27, 2021 Find out more RSF_en Receive email alerts May 28, 2021 Find out more News April 29, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Council of Europe calls for an independent investigation into Zavadski disappearance BelarusEurope – Central Asia Russian media boss drops the pretence and defends Belarus crackdown BelarusEurope – Central Asia RSF at the Belarusian border: “The terrorist is the one who jails journalists and intimidates the public” News News “We welcome opening of criminal investigation in Lithuania in response to our complaint against Lukashenko” RSF says
What: Free preview screening of “Tell Them We Are Rising” followed by guest lecturer, James Fuller and community discussion.When: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.Where: Midland College, Scharbauer Student Center, Carrasco Room.Who: Presenters: Indie Lens Pop-Up, Basin PBS and Midland College.RSVP: http://bit.ly/2hM6y4VMore info: http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/films/tell-them-we-arerising/ By admin – January 19, 2018 Twitter Facebook Basin PBS presents ‘Tell Them We are Rising’ Pinterest WhatsApp Local NewsEntertainment Facebook Pinterest Basin PBS logo 2016 Indie Lens Pop-Up, presented by ITVS, Independent Lens, and Basin PBS BasinPBS.org, are presenting “Tell Them We Are Rising: The Story of Black Colleges and Universities,” which explores the pivotal role historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) have played during the course of 150 years in American history, culture, and identity.The film reveals the rich history of HBCUs and the power of higher education to transform lives and advance civil rights and equality. The latest film from director Stanley Nelson (Black Panthers, Freedom Riders), brings to life the powerful story of the rise, influence, and evolution of HBCUs.Co-directed and co-produced by Marco Williams, the film premieres on Independent Lens at 8 p.m. on Feb. 19.A haven for Black intellectuals, artists, and revolutionaries — and a path of promise toward the American dream — HBCUs have educated the architects of freedom movements and cultivated leaders in every field while remaining unapologetically Black for more than 150 years. These institutions have nurtured some of the most influential Americans of our time, from Booker T. Washington to Martin Luther King, Jr., W.E.B. Du Bois to Ralph Ellison, Toni Morrison to Oprah Winfrey, Alice Walker to Spike Lee to Common.About the FilmmakersStanley Nelson has directed and produced more than 12 documentary features including Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution, Freedom Summer, Freedom Riders, Jonestown: The Life and Death of People’s Temple and The Murder of Emmett Till.Nelson has won every major award in broadcasting. In 2016, he was honored with a Lifetime Peabody Award, a Lifetime Emmy Award and a Lifetime Achievement Award from the International Documentary Association.Nelson is co-founder of Firelight Media, a nonprofit production company dedicated to using historical film to advance contemporary social justice causes, and to mentoring, inspiring and training a new generation of diverse young filmmakers committed to advancing underrepresented stories.Marco Williams is a filmmaker and a film educator. He is an Arts Professor at New York University, Tisch School of the Arts, Undergraduate Department of Film and Television. His directing credits include The Black Fives, The Undocumented, Inside the New Black Panthers; Banished; Freedom Summer; I Sit Where I Want: The Legacy of Brown v. Board of Education; MLK Boulevard: The Concrete Dream; Two Towns of Jasper; Making Peace: Rebuilding our Communities; The Spiritual Deficit and The American Dream; In Search of Our Fathers; and From Harlem to Harvard. His awards include a Guggenheim Fellowship, a George Foster Peabody Award, the Alfred I duPont Silver Baton, the Pan African Film Festival Outstanding Documentary Award, the Full Frame Documentary Festival Spectrum Award, and the National Association of Black Journalists First Place Salute to Excellence.Marcia Smith (Writer) served as president of Firelight Media for most of its first decade.About Indie Lens Pop-UpIndie Lens Pop-Up is a neighborhood series that brings people together for film screenings and community-driven conversations. Featuring documentaries seen on PBS’s Independent Lens, Indie Lens Pop-Up draws local residents, leaders and organizations together to discuss what matters most, from newsworthy topics, to family and relationships. Make friends, share stories, and join the conversation. Can’t attend in person? Find Independent Lens on Facebook for information on our online Pop-Up events.If You Go Twitter Previous articleHIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL: Pecos hires Chris Jones as new head football coach, athletic directorNext articleWOMEN’S COLLEGE BASKETBALL: UTPB comes up short of upset, falls in overtime to Texas A&M-Commerce admin WhatsApp
By TIM KELLYThe beat goes on. As do the beatings.Ocean City’s swarming defense and fast-paced offense featuring three rushing touchdowns from Isaac Wilson helped the Red Raiders swamp Absegami 44-6 Friday in a West Jersey Football League Independence Division clash.It was the fourth straight dominating performance for Ocean City (4-0 overall, 3-0 division), which yielded its first points of the season but was never seriously threatened by the Braves (0-3) at Carey Stadium.The Raiders’ offensive line rotation of Drew Eget, Chris Armstrong, Jack Baker, Michael Rhodes, Brad Jamison and Zach Mazzitelli blew ’Gami off the ball all night, allowing Wilson plenty of running room.“Our line was doing such a great job making holes, I could walk into them. I could walk right in,” said Wilson, a 5-9, 180-pound senior.“I’ve been focusing on patience, waiting for the play to develop in front of me,” Wilson continued. “I wrote the word ‘patience’ on my arm to remind me.”Wilson scored on runs of 6, 2, and 3 yards, and quarterback Joe Repetti threw three TD passes, giving him 11 for the season, including two to Jake Schneider of 13 and 8 yards, and a 24-yard hookup to tight end Jamison.Despite the offensive production, which resulted in scores on the Raiders’ first four possessions, Wilson said the Raider defense “sets the tone for our team. The offense gets energized watching our defense put us in a position to do what we can do.”Ocean City Head Coach Kevin Smith said Wilson had his breakout game on Friday as a result of paying more attention to running the ball north and south.“Isaac is getting better every week,” Smith said. “He is doing a much better job of squaring his shoulders. He used to run to the edge a lot more. Since he’s been (running downhill) he has been much more effective.”Smith said Ocean City’s 4-0 start was the Raiders’ first since 1998, when they went on to win the South Jersey Group II championship.The sun sets over Carey Stadium as Ocean City rolls to another big win to remain undefeated.There’s still room for improvement, Smith said, as the team became somewhat sloppy after it rolled to a 37-0 lead late in the second quarter. Several foolish penalties and minor defensive lapses are areas he addressed with the team in the postgame huddle and will strive to clean up as the season moves forward.Just before halftime, ’Gami had its only real drive of the game, a six-play, 45-yard march capped by quarterback Ray Weed’s 16-yard TD run, the first score relinquished this season by the Red Raiders. Ocean City has now outscored its opponents 170-6 on the year.Ocean City’s defense once again accounted for points, as it has in all four games. Midway through the first quarter, Rhodes chased down a bad snap that went over Weed’s head and recovered it in the end zone to give O.C. a 16-0 lead.On the last play of the quarter, Brian Beckman picked off Weed and ran it back 25 yards, just missing a pick-6, but setting up Wilson’s third score of the night.Early in the third quarter, O.C. went on an eight-play, 55-yard drive with Wilson accounting for 36 of them on five carries, and Mazzitelli chipping in with several big runs along the way and Wilson’s plunge sealing the rout.Game Notes: Brendan McGonigle had another strong kicking game, going 6-for-6 on extra points. On the Raiders’ first TD, Repetti sprinted out to the right, drawing in several defenders and found a wide open Schneider for the score. The big play of the drive was a 22-yard hookup with Beckman, who initially caught the ball for about an eight-yard gain but fought off two would-be tacklers to gain about 16 more yards after the catch.Ocean City now prepares for its biggest test yet on the season, a road contest in Richland next week against always tough St. Augustine Prep.Ocean City’s defense closes in on Absegami QB Ray Weed in the first quarter. Ocean City quarterback Joe Repetti hands off to Isaac Wilson for his third TD run of the night, while Ted Grimley (4) prepares to throw a block.