WhatsApp Previous articleBrian crosses over to the big screenNext articleMore Job losses as Heiton Buckley shuts down admin Linkedin Advertisement NewsLocal NewsResidents hail ‘landmark’ winBy admin – January 27, 2011 806 Twitter Email Court rules against Ballinacurra bus laneIN what is hailed as “a landmark case,” the President of the High Court, Mr Justice Nicholas Kearns, this Wednesday, found in favour of the residents of Balilnacurra against Limerick City Council’s roll-out of bus lanes on Ballinacurra Road/O’Connell Avenue.The decision could have serious implications for the rest of the country.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Following protracted debate, the introduction of bus lanes on Ballinacurra Road and part of O’Connell Avenue was approved by vote, although it was considered that this could be overthrown by the city manager.The residents proceeded to seek a declaration that Limerick City Council was acting unlawfully in not using the Public Consultation Part 8 procedure, as provided for in the Planning and Development Regulations.The Limerick Post was notified of the High Court ruling before going to press on Wednesday and when contacted, the city manager’s office replied:“In the case of the judicial review proceedings brought by Kevin Hoare, Kevin Donnelly and Barry Donnelly against Limerick City Council, heard before Mr. Justice Nicholas Kearns on December 14, Mr Justice Kearns upheld the appellants case. The Judge has adjourned the matter to February 2, to hear submissions before finalising the order of the Court.“Limerick City Council has no comment pending review of the judgment and consideration of the final order of the Court”.However, Cllr Pat Kennedy, who had been to the forefront in bringing the objections of the residents to City Hall, said he is very pleased with the outcome.“I have been against the roll out of bus corridors in this area for a number of justifiable reasons. I believe the High Court found for the residents under every heading”.At this week’s meeting of the city council, a notice of motion submitted by Cllr Kennedy, called on City Hall to remove from its City Development Plan, any proposal to provide bus corridors on Ballinacurra Road/O’Connell Avenue. The motion cited six reasons for rejecting the bus corridors from the area, and was signed by all nine of the Fine Gael councillors, including Mayor Maria Byrne.Commenting on the High Court judgment, Cllr Michael Hourigan said the outcome will have “huge implications for Limerick city and the rest of the country.“Up to now the city and county managers could overrule the councillors on issues such as this, but with this High Court ruling, a precedent has been set – this is a landmark case”. Print Facebook
After careful review and lengthy discussion on campus, Harvard President Drew Faust issued a statement making clear that she and the Harvard Corporation do not consider proposals to divest the University’s endowment of holdings related to fossil fuels to be “warranted or wise.” She also cautioned against any impulse to use the endowment as a political tool and said there are more effective ways to address the threat of climate change. Read the full statement here.
“We sent a 3-man delegation to Austria to compete at the Special Olympics Winter World Games. We participated in two novel sports – Unified Floor Ball and Floor Hockey.“Our athletes had an amazing time but didn’t forget to bring home the prize. They won the gold medal in Floor Hockey and Silver Medal in Unified Floor Ball a total of 20medals (12 gold and 8 silver),” stressed Osibodu.He was full of appreciation for all the family members of the athletes, the coaches, volunteers who dedicated their time and supported their children.“Special Olympics is special to us and we will always give our best to the athletes to ensure that they are always celebrated,” pledged the SONigeria board chairman.The Head of the Nigerian Delegation to the Games, Misan Eresanara, revealed that the trip to Austria was a special experience for the special athletes.“It was two weeks of fun. We had our high moments and low moments when two of our athletes were injured. Thank God the injuries were not so serious as to create panic for our team,” recalled the leader of delegation.He said that the athletes were Nigeria’s good ambassadors at the Games. “Our athletes were well behaved. They were always together and showed great promise during competition.For athletes coming from temperate rejoin, the winter weather in Austria was however challenging to them. “Even the food was also a culture shock so to say.”Despite not having the right equipment to train, the National Director of Special Olympic Nigeria, Naomi Saliu, promised that the athletes are going to do better at the next games slated to hold in Abu Dhabi next year.One of the athletes, Olatunji Daniel who celebrated his 18th birthday at the Games, told THISDAY that the experience in Austria would remain in his memory for life.“If anyone had told me before the Games that I will celebrate my birthday in a foreign land, I would have doubted it. But came back with medals to further make me happy.“We competed against athletes from India, USA, Indonesia, Morocco, etc“We didn’t have the equipment. We had only two weeks to train with the equipment before we traveled yet were better than athletes from other countries,” concludes the athlete.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Nigeria’s 31-man delegation to the 2017 Special Olympics Winter World Games in Austria was hosted to a rousing reception in Lagos on Tuesday for doing the country proud, winning a total of 20 medals.The special athletes won gold in Unified Floor Ball and a silver in Floor Hockey, two novel sports they participated in for the first time at the games in Austria.In all, Special Olympics Nigeria returned to Lagos with 12 gold and eight silver medals.Speaking at the reception, Chairman of the Board of Special Olympics Nigeria, Victor Osibodu, was full of praises for the athletes.