Meet the buyers at Limerick food event

first_imgAnn & Steve Talk Stuff | Episode 29 | Levelling Up Previous articleFrom seeking asylum to culinary gold for Limerick Institute of Technology studentNext articleBon Secours Hospital named as new sponsor of Limerick SHC Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Linkedin Limerick businesses urged to accept Irish Business Design Challenge NewsBusinessMeet the buyers at Limerick food eventBy Staff Reporter – April 1, 2019 1022 Email Exercise With Oxygen Training at Ultimate Health Clinic RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick on Covid watch list Printcenter_img Limerick food producers Joe O’Connor, Truely Irish, Newcastlewest and Caroline Rigney, Rigney’s Farm Curraghchase.Photo: Liam BurkeLocal Enterprise Offices from around the country have joined forces to create a brand new ‘Meet the Buyer’ event.The event, which is intended to raise the profile of the country’s finest food producers, will take place at the Limerick Institute of Technology (LIT) on Thursday, May 23.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up It is estimated that up to 90 food producers will have the chance to pitch their businesses to the top buyers from Ireland, Northern Ireland and the UK who are expected to attend.The trade only event is open to buyers from across the food industry such as supermarket groups, food wholesalers, retailers, independent fine food shops, food service, development and restaurant chefs, and many more.The Local Enterprise Office (LEO) network is providing training to the participating producers in branding, layout and presenting their products in advance of the event. There will also be break-out sessions during the day, focusing on a variety of topics such as the different purchasing strategies, major issues facing the food industry, and the preparation for the impact of Brexit.Attendees at the LIT event will also have to opportunity for free entry into this year’s Irish Quality Food Awards 2019.Eamon Ryan, Head of LEO Limerick: said “that this event provides an opportunity for producers to meet influential buyers. The event will assist food and drink start-ups to secure orders as well as learning from buyers about what products are likely to be successful in the marketplace of the future”.LIT Vice-President Dr Liam Brown said the event is a valuable extension of the colleges work in helping to develop a robust and sustainable food industry into the future.”The Meet the Buyer event follows the success of last year’s Local Producer Showcase, which brought together the best of the Mid-West Irish food and drink.Buyers who are interested in attending this event should register at qualityfoodawards.comby Miranda [email protected] Advertisement Housing 37 Compulsory Purchase Orders issued as council takes action on derelict sites WhatsApp Twitter TAGSawardbusinessLimerick City and CountyNews Facebook TechPost | Episode 9 | Pay with Google, WAZE – the new Google Maps? and Speak don’t Type!last_img read more

Pac-12 establishes cancellation, tiebreaker procedures

first_img Tags: Pac-12 October 19, 2020 /Coronavirus (COVID-19) related news and sports stories, Sports News – Local Pac-12 establishes cancellation, tiebreaker procedures FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailSAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The Pac-12 has established cancellation and tiebreaker policies for its virus-truncated football season.The conference announced that a minimum threshold of at least 53 scholarship players must be available for any team to participate in a game.The game would be rescheduled or declared a no contest if a school elects not to play the game shorthanded.The Pac-12′s seven-game, conference-only season is scheduled to start Nov. 7 and the conference is taking potential cancellations into consideration in its tiebreaker policies. Written by Associated Presslast_img read more

Investor market specialist Knight Knox starts 70th buy-to-let scheme

first_imgHome » News » Land & New Homes » Investor market specialist Knight Knox starts 70th buy-to-let scheme previous nextLand & New HomesInvestor market specialist Knight Knox starts 70th buy-to-let schemeLatest site marks fast rise of northern build-to-rent investor-focused companyThe Negotiator19th December 201601,403 Views Buy-to-let specialist for the private investor market Knight Knox has launched its 70th development just a few weeks reporting a turnover of £15.5 million, £2 million more than last year. It also now employs 65 staff and is expecting to hire more soon.Knights Knox works with developments in the north of England including Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield and Liverpool and has been one of the companies to help drive the ‘northern powerhouse’ property market revival in recent years, particularly in Manchester.It is in this city that urban re-development arrived first and is where the new-build market has expanded fastest, helped in part by Asian investor interest. Knight Knox recently took its seminars-based marketing machine to Hong Kong, for example.The latest offering by the Manchester based company bolsters its Yorkshire portfolio with the launch of Palatine Gardens, a premium residential development in Sheffield.The £5.4 million scheme, on Roscoe Road, transforms a former industrial site in the city centre, providing 54 new apartments, studios and duplex penthouses.Construction at Palatine Gardens is due to begin in early 2017 with completion expected in Q2 of 2018. The apartments, designed by Coda Studios, are available to buy-to-let investors for purchase now.The development will be let and managed by Intus Lettings, while Crossbow Ventures Ltd will act as the developer.land and new homes private investor market Knight Knox buy-to-let developments December 19, 2016The NegotiatorWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021last_img read more

Court Ruling Gives New Life to Controversial Ocean City Condo-Hotel Project

first_imgBy Donald WittkowskiIn a setback for opponents of the project, a state Superior Court judge overturned Ocean City’s denial of a proposed oceanfront condo-hotel that has languished on the drawing board for more than 10 years.Judge Julio L. Mendez ruled that the city’s planning board exceeded its authority and acted in an “arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable” manner when it denied site plan approval in 2016 for the Soleil Resort project.Mendez ordered the board to approve the site plan application. He found that the project fully complied with the zoning requirements of a city redevelopment zone where it would be built.“In the court’s opinion, the Board erroneously denied the site plan that met all the requirements of the Redevelopment Area Plan as enacted by the municipal governing body,” Mendez wrote in his 13-page ruling dated Aug. 9.John Loeper, the planning board chairman, declined to comment Friday on the ruling other than to say that there are still “some things up in the air” before the city can follow up on the judge’s order.One of Soleil’s developers said the project is expected to come back before the planning board in October for approval. He also said there has been no indication that the board plans to appeal the judge’s ruling.“They’re forced to approve it,” Joe Ernst, one of the principals of the project, said of the planning board. “They’re working on all of the paperwork now for getting it on the agenda in October.”His company, Ernst Brothers Designers and Builders, of Spring House, Pa., has teamed up with Select Properties Inc., of Colmar, Pa., to develop the Soleil project on what is now a parking lot at the corner of Ocean Avenue and 11th Street.The developers have proposed a 111-unit oceanfront complex that would function as a hotel. While the six-story building would remain a hotel resort, the individual units would be sold as condominiums.Condo owners in Soleil would fall under a 120-day stay limit throughout the year to ensure that their units would be available to hotel guests most of the time. That means the owners would be limited to 30 days in each season, preventing them from monopolizing their units during the peak summer tourist period.In an interview Friday, Ernst said the developers are in the process of applying to the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection for a coastal construction permit needed for the project. They are shooting for 2018 to start construction.“If all the stars align, spring 2018,” Ernst said.Ernst acknowledged it has been a long, arduous process for the developers since they first proposed the project in 2005. Since then, it has gone through a number of changes to reflect the wishes of the planning board as well as the conditions in the Ocean City real estate market.Ernst said the market is ripe now for a project that would give condo owners all the benefits of a resort-style hotel, including room service, maid service, a fitness center, a swimming pool and a host of other amenities.“The market couldn’t be any better in Ocean City right now,” he said.Ernst called Soleil a “top-notch building” that would stimulate the local economy. The project is proposed for a city redevelopment zone that envisions a first-class, resort-style hotel operating year-round. The developers have repeatedly said the project would comply with those requirements.However, the planning board members were skeptical of those claims when they voted 7-1 in April 2016 to reject the project. They concluded that the project fell short of the standards for the type of resort hotel that the city wants in the redevelopment zone.Some board members stated they did not believe that Soleil met the “spirit” of the city’s zoning law for the redevelopment area. They argued that the project was a hotel in “name only.”The developers responded with a lawsuit last year to challenge the board’s decision, culminating in Mendez’s ruling in their favor.The project also drew objections from some local business owners and members of the community. They contended that Soleil was a poorly disguised condominium complex, not the condo-hotel that the developers had insisted they wanted to build.In particular, the project aroused fierce public opposition from residents in the adjacent Flanders Hotel, which operates as a condo-hotel. Soleil was regarded as a potential formidable competitor for the Flanders, one of the city’s most historic and iconic businesses.During three stormy public hearings that led up to the planning board’s rejection of the project, opponents claimed that the Soleil was too big for the surrounding neighborhood and would create gridlock on local streets already congested during the peak summer tourist season.In response to concerns from the public and the planning board, the developers revised the project in early 2016. Changes to Soleil included more directional signs, a new circulation pattern to handle traffic, parking revisions, a more functional hotel lobby, more storage and housekeeping space and public bathrooms for a rooftop pool.The developers also eliminated a proposed porte-cochere from the building’s 11th Street frontage. In addition, they had planned to erect a new marquee for the parking garage and more wayfinding signs to help with traffic flow.The developers changed the project to a condo-hotel complex after the planning board in 2015 rejected plans for a straight condominium. The board stressed that it wanted a resort-style hotel as the centerpiece of the redevelopment zone.Select Properties and Ernst Brothers have not disclosed the project’s development cost. The companies have indicated they intend to build Soleil in three stages, starting with a condo tower on Ocean Avenue, followed by a parking garage and ending with another condo tower on 11th Street. An architectural rendering depicts the proposed Soleil Resort, a 111-unit complex that would function as a condo-hotel.last_img read more

Conference highlights society’s perceptions of beauty

first_imgSaint Mary’s hosted the Bold Beauty Conference for the fourth time Tuesday in the College’s student center, featuring student projects and presentations on society’s conceptions of beauty. Seniors Laura Glaub and JoLynn Williams coordinated this year’s event with assistance from professor Terri L. Russ. Glaub said the conference showcased a variety of perspectives on beauty. “One person is doing a poem and [another person is presenting on] how to recover from sexual assault,” Glaub said. “We tried to do more hands-on events this year. There is a poster to write about what food men and women are compared to in the lounge.” The project fair began at 11 a.m. in the student center atrium, and in the student center lounge, Barbie dolls created in Russ’s Female Beauty class this semester and in previous semesters were on display. Some of the featured Barbie Dolls were the Trophy Wife Barbie from two years ago, the Regina George Barbie, Call Me Maybe Barbie, Teenage Barbie, 16 and Pregnant Barbie, SMC Barbie and ND Barbie, PMS Barbie and more. Each Barbie had below it an explanation of its significance. Senior Anabel Castaneda said her Barbie was S&M Barbie. “My Barbie goes off of the double bind that women have to live up to,” Castaneda said. “Women are expected to be one thing and then another thing again. Women are expected to balance that.” Projects addressed topics such as the magazine Cosmopolitan, movies, phot shoppin, andsothers. Saint Mary’s senior Kate Park said the project she created with senior Katie Greenspon concerned today’s plus-size model.  “The new plus-size model is considered a size six,” Park said. “So a size six and above is considered plus-size, which we believe is absolutely ludicrous and that is why we are doing our project on that.” Junior Sara Gray said her project focused on physical attractiveness in the work place. “I’m talking about their weight, the look, and how that affects [women] when they go in for a job,” Gray said. “It’s so true that more physically attractive women get higher positions and more benefits. Seventy-fiv  percent of managers said they would rather have women work just as hard on their resume as their appearance. When you’re attractive they associate really good characteristics to you.” Senior Kelsey Smolek said she focused her project on photo manipulation and went through advertisements of both male and female models to see how photo editors changed their appearances to make them look more attractive. “[This manipulation is] sort of giving little girls and women an image that they can’t live up to,” Smolek said. “These types of images can cause bulimia, anorexia, and other issues.” Gray said her project featured photos of celebrities such as Beyoncé, Kelly Clarkson, Kim Kardashian and revealed the heavy editing that went into their pictures. Women are given thinnerAarmssand stomachs, and men are given bigger muscles, she said. “It’s just really disturbing to look at,” Smolek said. Junior Amanda Stukel said she dressed in outfits depicting particular stereotypes on Saint Mary’s campus and Notre Dame’s campus to see how people would react.  “A lot of people began to contradict themselves when they made comments,” Stukel said. “This definitely shows that people size you up within 10 seconds. We found that dressed up attire at Notre Dame was not as criticized as it is here on Saint Mary’s campus. It’s very much more relaxed here at Saint Mary’s.” Glaub said the purpose of the conference was to inspire students to stick up for true beauty. “There are events that teach you to fight back and be an advocate for female beauty,” Glaub said… “We’re trying to show people how to fight back.”last_img read more

Ex-Nassau Police Commander’s Sentence Stayed Pending New Appeal

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A judge granted an ex-Nassau County police commander’s request to postpone serving his jail sentence for a misconduct conviction while New York State’s highest court decides if it will hear his appeal.Leslie Stein, an associate judge at the state Court of Appeals in Albany, granted Monday the stay of execution of a 60-day jail term that William Flanagan, a former deputy Nassau police commissioner, was sentenced to after he was convicted of misconduct and conspiracy two years ago.“Stay is granted only pending this court’s determination” of whether it will hear Flanagan’s attorneys argue why they think the court should overturn his conviction, the judge wrote in her order. The conviction was upheld two weeks ago by the state Supreme Court Appellate Division, Second Judicial Department.Prosecutors have said that Flanagan helped quash the case against Zachary Parker, of Merrick, who stole thousands of dollars worth of electronics from his alma mater, John F. Kennedy High School in Bellmore, shortly before he graduated in 2009 while he interned with the Nassau police Ambulance Bureau. The burglar’s father, Gary, was volunteering for the nonprofit Nassau County Police Department Foundation when he asked Flanagan for help with the case.Acting Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas had opposed the request to stay Flanagan’s sentence. The appellate division in Brooklyn first stayed the execution of his sentence pending the first round of appeals.Flangan’s attorney, Donna Aldea, head of the Appellate Practice Group for Garden City-based Barket Marion Epstein & Kearon, LLP, said that she is confident that the Court of Appeals will overturn the conviction. Her argument is that he didn’t receive a fair trial due to prosecutorial misconduct, prejudicial statements and insufficient evidence.Singas’ office stands by the conviction. A panel of four judges in the appellate division wrote in their decision upholding the conviction that any errors prosecutors made were mitigated by “overwhelming evidence of the defendant’s guilt.”Two other ex-police commanders—John Hunter, the retired Deputy Chief of Patrol, and Det. Sgt. Alan Sharpe—both pleaded guilty to misconduct and were sentenced to probation in connection with the case, which stemmed from a Press expose into police favoritism for the nonprofit’s donors. Zachary Parker pleaded guilty to burglary and was sentenced to prison after violating his probation. He has since been released.last_img read more