Residents hail ‘landmark’ win

first_imgWhatsApp Previous articleBrian crosses over to the big screenNext articleMore Job losses as Heiton Buckley shuts down admin Linkedin Advertisement NewsLocal NewsResidents hail ‘landmark’ winBy admin – January 27, 2011 806 Twittercenter_img Email Court rules against Ballinacurra bus laneIN what is hailed as “a landmark case,” the President of the High Court, Mr Justice Nicholas Kearns, this Wednesday, found in favour of the residents of Balilnacurra against Limerick City Council’s roll-out of bus lanes on Ballinacurra Road/O’Connell Avenue.The decision could have serious implications for the rest of the country.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Following protracted debate, the introduction of bus lanes on Ballinacurra Road and part of O’Connell Avenue was approved by vote, although it was considered that this could be overthrown by the city manager.The residents proceeded to seek a declaration that Limerick City Council was acting unlawfully in not using the Public Consultation Part 8 procedure, as provided for in the Planning and Development Regulations.The Limerick Post was notified of the High Court ruling  before going to press on Wednesday and when contacted, the city manager’s office replied:“In the case of the judicial review proceedings brought by Kevin Hoare, Kevin Donnelly and Barry Donnelly against Limerick City Council, heard before Mr. Justice Nicholas Kearns on  December 14, Mr Justice Kearns  upheld the appellants case.  The Judge has adjourned the matter to February 2, to hear submissions before finalising the order of the Court.“Limerick City Council has no comment pending review of the judgment and consideration of the final order of the Court”.However, Cllr Pat Kennedy, who had been to the forefront in bringing the objections of the residents to City Hall, said he is very pleased with the outcome.“I have been against the roll out of bus corridors in this area for a number of justifiable reasons.  I believe the High Court found for the residents under every heading”.At this week’s meeting of the city council, a notice of motion submitted by Cllr Kennedy, called on City Hall to remove from its City Development Plan, any proposal to provide bus corridors on Ballinacurra Road/O’Connell Avenue. The motion cited six reasons for rejecting the bus corridors from the area, and was signed by all nine of the Fine Gael councillors, including Mayor Maria Byrne.Commenting on the High Court judgment, Cllr Michael Hourigan said the outcome will have “huge implications for Limerick city and the rest of the country.“Up to now the city and county managers could overrule the councillors on issues such as this, but with this High Court ruling, a precedent has been set  – this is a landmark case”. Print Facebooklast_img read more

Mayweather mocks McGregor

first_imgRelatedPosts Sexual assault: McGregor awaits physical test, video evidence Sexual assault charge: UFC superstar denies allegation, released without charge Spain legend, Casillas, retires at 39 Floyd Mayweather has questioned Conor McGregor’s latest retirement announcement, insisting he will be “waiting” should the UFC star change his mind.McGregor announced he is retiring from MMA for the third time in four years on Sunday, despite making his long-awaited comeback just in January. “Hey guys I’ve decided to retire from fighting,” he wrote across his social media platforms.“Thank you all for the amazing memories! What a ride it’s been! Here is a picture of myself and my mother in Las Vegas post one of my world title wins! Pick the home of your dreams Mags I love you! Whatever you desire it’s yours.”Mayweather – who claimed a stoppage win against McGregor in a hugely lucrative boxing match in 2017 – also took to social media to mock the Irishman’s latest claim.“If I’m not mistaken, didn’t you tell Mike Tyson you could beat me if we fought a second time?” the retired 50-0 fighter said.“Now you’re quitting! I thought you wanted to beat the best? Well, if you decide to come back, I will be waiting to punish you again.” McGregor has fought twice following his loss to Mayweather, bouncing back with a 40-second knockout win against Donald Cerrone after suffering a devastating loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov in October 2018.The 31-year-old has also spoken of a rematch with Mayweather on numerous occasions, describing the American as “far from retired” and insisting the rematch “will happen at some stage”.Mayweather – who recently offered to cover the costs of the funeral of George Floyd, who was killed in Minneapolis late in May – has not fought professionally since the pair’s bout.The undefeated 43-year-old has since started training lightweight Devin Haney, however.Tags: Conor McGregorFloyd Mayweather JrMockeryRetirementUFClast_img read more